|McCall's 6884 Front|
|McCall's 6884 Back|
It was quick to cut and sew after minimal pattern work: a nip for swayback, about 2.5" in additional hem length and what I would call a "lazy man's" FBA, which I think I saw on Marcy Tilton's blog some time ago. I added 1 1/4" to the front length in the vicinity of the bust points, and eased the surplus into the side seam. I admit that it was a lot of fabric to ease in a small amount of space, but the fabric was very stretchy, so it worked. On a more stable knit, I may have to do things differently.
|McCall's 6884 Neckline Band|
I recall seeing some reviews complaining the neckline was too low cut, so I added a little height when I expanded the bust. When I draped it on the dress form after sewing the fronts to the backs, I still worried that it was too low, so instead of the narrow hem as in the pattern instructions, I added a neckline band (cut on the cross-grain). It was stretched while sewn, so it should also help keep the neckline from drooping or gaping.
|McCall's 6884 sleeve band|
Another change included adding a band at the sleeve. After cutting the 3/4-length sleeve, it just seemed too short. It was also baggy, even though I cut the smallest size sleeve. Since Stephanie wasn't around to fit, I added 2" in length with a band cut on the cross-grain. It should be just tight enough to push up or down her forearm. You can see in the shots above and below that the sleeve was eased quite a bit when sewn to the band.
The sleeve and neckline bands add some sporty touches to it, so I hope it doesn't look too casual for Stephanie's purposes.
|It is truly flattering on anyone!|