Friday, January 10, 2014

Thoughts of Winter Coats

It's been unusually cold here lately, as has most of the U.S.  So cold that I've needed something heavier than my usual fleece jacket.  This cold snap has made me realize how fortunate I was to have nice winter coats as a kid.  I grew up in a very cold place, and my mother and grandmother were so good about making sure that I always owned a nice, warm, quality coat, whether it was a ski jacket or a dress coat.

Most of those coats are long gone, but I still own two: one is dress length in red wool, with very feminine lines, the other a more traditional shorter navy pea coat.  My daughter has been swiping the shorter one for ice skating and running around town. 

Until now, I didn't realize how much better built my old pea coat is compared to her wool coat we purchased from a department store a couple of years ago.  Especially on the inside.  

The body is lined with a nice wool and the sleeves are lined with a quilted wool/acetate and has ribbed cuffs that do wonders to keep the cold air out.  

The sleeve lining is beginning to fall apart in a few places -- that happens after 30 years -- so I thought about just replacing the sleeve lining.


Then I noticed that the front of the jacket is a bit on the sad side.

Those aren't moth holes!

It carries a scar from my college years when I wrecked my Honda scooter and slid face forward on my belly through gravel.  I wasn't hurt, but I was terribly embarrassed, as I landed at the feet of a group of football players.  I was so relieved I wore a helmet -- the face shield kept me fairly anonymous while they helped me back to my feet. 

Perhaps I should just make myself a new jacket, rather than re-line this sad one?  To find the right pattern then!  I like the double-breasted design, mainly because it helps with the warmth factor, and if it's not double-breasted, I must have something that warms my neck.  I have owned too many "fashionable" coats that left my neck and chest cold.

I searched the usual spots - Butterick, McCall's, Vogue, then made the mistake of clicking on "other brands".  It was love at first sight when I saw this Marfy coat.  It is exactly what I had in mind!  Double breasted, beautiful lines, angled pockets.  Maybe a little too long?  That's easy to fix.  Hmmmm.  I'm not sure I have the patience for a Marfy, though.
This is the perfect style for me, but it's Marfy.  Should I be afraid?
Vogue 8940 is almost exactly the same as the one I own (and need to throw out).  But does it make sense for me to adapt a men's pattern to fit my body?  Or does it matter for an overcoat?  Vogue was on sale for $3.99 last week, so I bought it anyway.  Worst case, I hold on to the pattern to use for my son.
Does it make sense to use a men's pattern for myself?
I honestly couldn't find a pea coat pattern for a woman anywhere.  Maybe I didn't look hard enough.  Or maybe I don't really need another one?  My daughter tells me that I don't really need a new coat -- the holes aren't that noticeable, she tells me (I think she just doesn't want me tied up on a sewing project for myself).  So I'm thinking about it.  At this rate, I wouldn't finish it in time to wear this winter, anyway.  Maybe I have time for the Marfy, if I start now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!