Friday, February 8, 2013

Paralyzed by Indecision

My Bernina remains in the shop for maintenance -- I was told it would be at least two weeks -- so I kept myself busy practicing hand worked buttonholes for a few days.  Actually a lot of fun!  I realized after doing a few that my embroidery skills of my youth were still intact, and I needed to move on to completing the jacket.

After trying it on several times I decided that I really didn't like the feel of the shoulder pads.  So I considered taking them out.  Then I talked myself out of it, thinking that I must have had a good reason to put them in.  This conversation with myself continued back and forth every time I tried to do something on the jacket -- for several days -- until I told myself that I needed to leave them in. 

Jacket with shoulder pads over the purple(ish) blouse

I managed to do little bits of this and that with the jacket, but nothing substantial.  The pockets were already assembled, so I attached them with hand-stitches.  Even though they span the princess seams, the plaid matches fairly well.  It's actually difficult for me to differentiate the pocket from the jacket:

Pockets added to jacket
 The pockets are lined on the inside and interlined with organza to give the boucle some stiffness.

Inside of Pocket
Yesterday I wore another jacket that I made -- also with shoulder pads -- but it was soooo comfortable.  I spent the day thinking that they must be really small shoulder pads, and decided that I should open the lining on the Chanel and swap those pads for small ones.  Last night I finally opened one shoulder and was surprised to see that they were also very shallow (not tall) shoulder pads.  I pulled one out and tried the jacket on and lo and behold, I liked it better without the shoulder pads!  I double-checked with my husband, who agreed, so they both came out.  I did leave the sleeve heads intact -- they do a nice job shaping the cap and aren't in my way. I feel so much more confident about finishing the jacket now that the paralyzing indecision over the shoulder pads is behind me.  It's amazing how doubt can really hold you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!