Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Prom 2013, The Preliminaries

After gleefully announcing my SWAP ideas to my family a couple of weeks ago, my daughter quickly burst my balloon, declaring "Prom is in April.  I guess I will have to buy a dress!"  [We often remind her that she channels Veruca Salt in Willy Wonka: "I want a trained squirrel, Daddy!"]

It has been our tradition that I make her fancy dresses, so I was disappointed. On the other hand, she can be a tough customer, so I was also a little bit relieved.  The "pros" definitely out-numbered the "cons" (which was limited to only one -- our mutual disappointment that the tradition would end).

Pros:
1. No treasure hunt for fabric.  We have only chain fabric stores locally, so are limited to polyester chiffon and satin (last year's prom dress), or searching over the internet. 
2. No special fitting, FBA, etc. 
3. No messing with the organza, chiffon, satin.  It's so slippery and fussy, especially when you're dealing with yards and yards of it.
4. No hand-beading.  Refer to item #1, above. 
5. No modifications to include a corsellette or built-in bra, a must-have for her.

Prom 2012 - the dress could stand on its own with the built-in foundation.

She found something she liked on Etsy.  Made-to-order. After reading the description (which included a requirement for customer's "brust" measurements), and not being able to decipher the fabric content, we concluded that she may end paying for a dress made of crappy fabric and by the time it arrived at our doorstep, it would be too late to get something else.  So maybe I can "fit it in" with my other April deadline.  The red dress looks too low cut for my daughter anyway.  

Etsy: Lvs Fashion

I think it was part of her devious plan to find something on Etsy where it's more likely I can copy it.  So the search has begun.  I told her we needed a little less cleavage, and maybe a little less red.  The more I look at this picture, the less I like the way the silver waistband breaks up the front of the dress...maybe too much contrast?

What is my attraction to OOP patterns?

We looked around online and found a close cousin.  Unfortunately, it is soon to be OOP and it is already out-of-stock at Simplicity.com.  I will have to figure out the sparkly midriff, and do the FBA with a built-in bra, and of course find some nice fabric...


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I removed the above comment because I mistyped and wanted to reccommend Spandex World for a sparkly fabric source. Take a look at their website, I've had good service from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole! I have not shopped at Spandex World, but I will give it a whirl! Appreciate the info.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you!